Monday, October 1, 2012

the strike

Sometime last week we received a very polite email informing university students that on Oct. 1st there would be a bus strike and that we would have to find other means of transportation for the first day of school. I thought that it sounded extremely inconvenient, but all things considered it was very polite for them to tell us that they were striking ahead of time. So this morning on the dawning of the impending strike I simply waited for the cab I had the foresight to call the night before and split it between 7 people so that my ride was very cheap.
However, on the way back there was no conveniently placed people with whom to split a cab, so I decided to be like Elizabeth Bennet and walk the 3+ miles (even though I don't have a sister, sick or otherwise so maybe not the most apt . A first I was delighted by the scenery and comparing all the ways I was like Miss Bennet, when that list came up short I thought of all the ways I was unlike her and had quite a bit to keep myself preoccupied. That may be why I tromped ankle deep into a mud puddle and ended up turning my black boots brown, but I gleefully added another point to the like Miss Bennet list and made my way looking "positively medieval". As I trudged up an incline I remembered that the way back was all up hill and I laughed at all of the "In my day, up hill, in the snow, barefoot"esque stories I could tell from this. Then a car splashed muddy water all over me and I mentally harangued my professor for telling us that Margaret Thatcher broke the unions when the bus union was obviously having a good laugh today. Then it began to rain. It can be considered no small coincidence that I hummed "God Bless America" for the next two miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment