Wednesday, September 12, 2012

As of yesterday I have been here for a whole week and I thought it might be good to think about what I have learned thus far. I don't know about any of you, but the easiest way for me to do basically anything is through comparing and contrasting, like the adorable Gilmore Girls, I'm a big fan of pro/con lists. So after absolutely no consideration what so ever, here is a random list of pro's and con's between here and home.

Pro's

  • The dorm rooms here have an actual maid service! No lie, they cleaned my room and made my bed (with fresh sheets) today.
  • I'm of legal drinking age here (enough said)
  • The people are extremely aware of what is going on in the U.S. right now (they know more about our politics than I do) and they love any opportunity to hear what I think about it.
  • As an American I'm kind of exotic, and therefore instantly more interesting than I am at home.
  • They recycle everything! The whole island is so eco-friendly.
  • I am a 5 minute stroll from the ocean, which means....
  • SUPER FRESH SEAFOOD!!!
  • Also they have Indian restaurants everywhere and they pretty much rock.

Con's

  • Breakfast...
    • The eggs are poached
    • They serve beans and tomatoes for who knows what reason
    • They think a biscuit is a cookie and they don't have anything to replace it with
    • Even though gravy makes it's way into all of the other meals (they even put it on top of fries, or "chips") it hasn't found it's way to the 1st one yet
    • The hash browns are just indescribably worse
    • Scones are obviously served with tea because without it you need someone to administer the Heimlich maneuver
    •  Bacon (God's real gift to women) is really just thinly sliced, overcooked, chewy ham.
  • The classroom structure is extremely rigid and sometimes I have to literally cover my mouth with my hand to keep myself from speaking.
And last, but never least,
  • I miss my family.
And on a super irrelevant and slightly ridiculous note, they don't have any Taco Bell's here. I know that sounds silly, but it's so addictive and I'm having major withdraws! I would kill for a cheesy potato stuffed burrito right now. They don't really have much Mexican food here at all which is sad when you come from the happy land of over sized Tex Mex.

No comments:

Post a Comment