Friday, November 23, 2012

So, I was being a bit of a drama queen in the last post. It turns out that with the conversion to my uni's grading system the grade I made was still an "A". I still have to get through the other exams, but needless to say, I'm breathing a big sigh of relief.
I've done so much since then that I don't even know where to start. I went to Amsterdam! The whole city really does smell like weed, but the architecture was amazing and so was the art. I saw Rembrandt's  Night Watch! I was so excited and just in awe, it was huge! Like 20 feet tall! I don't know why, but I guess I always assumed it was smaller.
I've also become addicted to Nando's. Nando's is a chicken place here that serves the spiciest food I have been able to get my hands on here, I'm going to miss their Peri-Peri chicken terribly when I'm back in Oklahoma.
I also went to Brussels! Unfortunately everybody spoke French, so I didn't really get to talk to anybody, but I found other uses for my pie hole and that was the amazing cuisine! The food in Belgium is already fabulous, but this year they are celebrating their gastronomy (food) and everything was top notch. The waffles are exactly what they are cracked up to be, I had at least one every day I was there. Their art was astounding too, I was particularly excited to see Bruegel the elder's work. The Magritte Museum was a bit of a let down. I mean it was nice and I loved hearing the history of the painter, but his most famous paintings are scattered all over the world and they really only had lesser known works.
Nothing in Brussels topped the chocolate though. It was soooo decadent! I have never referred to food as "sinful" before because I feel no guilt for eating, but ooooh! It had to be sinful, because it was just that good. Good doesn't even describe it. You can't even call it finger licking good, it was more like purring like a cat good. It was so good that after trying the truffles in public I took the pastries back to the hotel with me so that we could be alone.
Just after getting back from Brussels Thanksgiving came around! My house decided to do a big meal together and even though I ended up cooking most of it they really pitched in and helped (with one notable exception) we invited a few of our European friends over for their first Thanksgiving and then, according to tradition, proceeded to stuff ourselves silly.
There was one person who showed an amazing lack of manners by inviting himself, contributing nothing, and leaving without even clearing his plate, much less offering to help clean. Now if this person had been a guest that I had invited I would not be so upset, but this person lives here. I'm trying not to let his rudeness out shine the amazing night with friends that it really was, but it's very difficult for me.
I think that catches us up to the present. Today is Black Friday and I'm trying to keep busy so that I don't remember what I'm missing, but it's hard. I don't have class on Friday's and I don't really have anything that needs to be done today either. Today is a day that I always spend with my Mom. We do all of the big sales and fight the crowds for great deals because we just love it and it helps your Christmas shopping grow exponentially.
I really miss her today. I know this is cliche, but she really is my best friend. It wasn't always like that. When I was a teenager I really thought that one of us would not make it to my adulthood alive, but now we just click. Everybody should have someone in their lives that loves them for exactly who they are and really understands them, my Mom is my person and I miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment